This Sunday, January 19, 2020, is National Sanctity of Human Life Sunday. “In the beginning, God created….” and the crowned glory of His creation is man, who was created in His image (Read What Does It Mean to Be Created in God’s Image? article and video). Christians must stand strong in defending the sanctity of life and protecting the lives of all pre-borns. We must proclaim God’s truth that a baby in the womb is a human being — life begins at conception.
Today, I share with you an article by my friend and collegue, Dr. Alveda C. King, the granddaughter of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (Quoted in: Patterson, Alice. Bridging the Racial and Political Divide. San Jose, California: Transformational Books, 2010. page 245.) May her words encourage you to be vocal and steadfast in procalaiming the sanctity of all human life! — Alex
Chrystal Kelly, a Connecticut woman, decided to help an infertile couple become parents by serving as a surrogate mother. Helping a childless couple begin their family was noble enough, but for Americans who believe that abortion is morally wrong, Kelly’s handling of the surrogacy would ultimately make an even stronger statement.
At 20 weeks, sonogram images revealed that the baby Kelly was carrying had multiple health issues. Apparent birth defects included heart and brain abnormalities, along with a cleft palate. The couple informed their surrogate that they wanted the baby aborted, and even offered Kelly $10,000.00 to do it. Kelly refused to be paid to terminate the pregnancy. But money was tight, which is why she became a surrogate in the first place. Kelly countered with a request for $15,000.00 to go through with the abortion, an offer that the couple refused.
As the discussion unfolded Kelly became convicted that— birth defects notwithstanding— the baby inside of her was a human life and abortion would not be an option. As attorneys threatened her with lawsuits over breach of contract, Kelly stood her ground, carrying the child to term at great financial and emotional cost. She even moved from Connecticut to Michigan in order to be in a locale with surrogacy laws more favorable to the life of the baby. Pro-abortion blog sites ridicule her actions, while pro-life advocates call her a hero. Such is the fallout in a world in which advancements in technology have been paralleled by erosion of morality.
The foundational moral issues of our times.
To say that abortion is controversial is an understatement. Since the 1973 Supreme Court decision, Roe v. Wade, which legalized abortion in the United States, the abortion question has continued to divide Christians, non-Christians, and even Christians who take different approaches to the topic. Writing in 1982, one Christian author said: “Abortion on demand is without question the greatest moral issue facing America today. No other contemporary moral problem in this country results in the deaths of over a million innocent, unborn children each year.” Ethicist Scott Rae observes: “For over two decades, the abortion debate has intensified and it shows no signs of being resolved. It is still the debate which defines the current cultural conflict in America, and will likely remain so in the foreseeable future.”
The majority of abortions have been performed in America over the past 40 years have been done simply out of convenience. Some even choose abortions in order to “choose” the sex of the child. If parents are set on having a boy, for instance, some abortions take place in order for the parents to have the sex of the child they prefer. In these cases, there has been some serious desensitizing going on when it comes to the ethical questions surrounding abortion.
Does the law make abortion right?
It’s a fact that in 1973 the U.S. Supreme Court legalized abortion. To some, that fact is enough to move on, avoiding conflict about the matter. After all, if the Supreme Court made the decision, it must be correct, right? If it’s legal, and it’s been around for decades, then what’s the point in arguing about it? But remember that slavery used to be legal, too. Does this mean that it was morally right, or that we should ever consider reinstituting slavery in the United States? Of course not! The point here is that just because something becomes legal does not make it right. Keep in mind, too, that the Roe Court failed to address the central issue in the abortion debate, which is, of course, the question of whether or not an unborn baby is a human being.” So there are key reasons why a decades-old legal decision about abortion is in no way the final, definitive answer on the question.
Human beings are fallible and the Supreme Court is not God. As a result, it can make mistakes. As theologian R.C. Sproul has pointed out, there’s a difference between legal rights and moral rights: “We have a legal right to be wrong, but does God ever give us a moral right to be wrong? We must distinguish between legal rights and moral rights. We may claim that the pro-choice position is an argument for legal rights, but, in actuality, we are talking about moral rights.”
In the aftermath of hard-won civil rights, came abortion and the cheapening of life.
“What would Martin Luther King, Jr., who dreamed of having his four children judged by the content of their characters not just the color of their skin, do if he’d lived to see the contents of thousands of children’s skulls emptied into the bottomless caverns of the abortionist’s pits? What would he say about the rivers of blood of the children cut down in gang wars and other dark deeds?”
 J. Carl Laney, “The Abortion Epidemic: America’s Silent Holocaust,” in Bibliotheca Sacra, Volume 139 (1982), p. 342.
 Scott Rae, Moral Choices, second edition, p. 123.
 Norman Geisler and Frank Turek, Legislating Morality, p. 154.
 R.C. Sproul, Lifeviews, p. 124.
Pro-Life Articles and Videos
- What is the National Sanctity of Human Life Day?
"Choice" Spoken Word Poetry Video by EZ Zwayne
- What Does It Mean to Be Created in God’s Image? (article and video)
- Pro-Life Matters (article and video)
- Who Can Tell Me? (article and video)
- God's Masterpiece (article and video)
- Formed by His Hand (video)
- The Miracle of Life (video)
- Before Time Began (video + facts and statistics you need to know)
- If Pre-borns Could Talk: A Conversation in the Womb (article and video)
- When Does a Woman Become a Mother? (Sanctity of Human Life Day)
- Who Are You? (Designed by the Creator video)
- You've Discovered You Are Pregnant (video)
Christian apologists Alex McFarland and Shari Abbott answer some of life's many questions concerning the gospel, faith, and the Bible by sharing Truth for a New Generation and Reasons for Hope found only in Jesus. For more information about apologist, evangelist, author, and religion and culture analyst, Alex McFarland, visit www.alexmcfarland.com. For more information about Shari Abbott, executive director of Reasons for Hope* Jesus, click here.
Truth for a New Generation (TNG) serves nationwide, featuring a multi-year conference tour and student-led club program to equip teenagers, parents, grandparents, and others who lead them to live for God. TNG's mission is to creatively communicate a compelling Christian worldview to the next generation by giving answers to tough questions, based on the truths of Scripture, and to build up the Body of Christ to stand strong and boldly proclaim the gospel in the world. For more information and resources visit www.truthforanewgeneration.com.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement to us. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas