From Luke’s gospel we read,
- “And why do you call Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?” (Luke 6:46 – NASB)
There are some verses in the Bible that especially convict me to my very core! Brethren, this is one of them! There are times when I struggle with the flesh, when I cave to it, and these words of my “Lord” come to me . . . and I hear them echoing in my brain, in my soul, my “Lord” saying to me, “why do you call Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and yet “you do not do what I say?” And I am grieved. Have you also heard these words, heard them when you chose to “do” what you knew was not of His choosing for you to “do?”
The call of Jesus rings out loud and clear to each one of us who claims to be His disciple. Individually we are called to hear Him and “do” what He tells us to “do” . . .
- “Everyone who come to Me, and hears My words, and acts upon them . . .” (Luke 6:47a – NASB)
This is the one who is His disciple . . . the one who “come(s) to (Him),” who “hears (His) words, and acts upon” those “words.”
The late great Bible teacher James Montgomery Boice wrote regarding this text, “If you have been called by Christ and therefore sincerely want to hear His voice as He speaks to you through the Bible, you should do the following:
- STUDY THE BIBLE DAILY – Discipline your life to include a normal, daily period of Bible study (Acts 17:11)
- STUDY THE BIBLE SYSTEMATICALLY – (Joshua 1:7-8)
- STUDY THE BIBLE COMPREHENSIVELY – (II Timothy 3:16 – note the word, “all”)
- STUDY THE BIBLE DEVOTIONALLY – It is not just a textbook (Psalm 119:11)
- STUDY THE BIBLE PRAYERFULLY – (Daniel 9:1-3)
If I, if you, call Him “Lord, Lord,” then,
- “Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, handling accurately the word of truth” (II Timothy 2:15 – NASB)
If we apply ourselves to this then we will find ourselves more and more responding to our “Lord” as He has called us to do, hearing His “words” and acting “upon them to His pleasure . . . . . . . NOT hearing Him say to us,
- “And why do you call Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?”
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk be diligent, as a true disciple of Christ, to know what He has to say and then do what He says to do.
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge