College has increasingly become a place where one’s faith in Jesus is being attacked. We know from multiple studies that many young people leave their faith while in college. It may not be intentional, but slowly, over the four to five years in college, faith in Jesus can fade away.
Seemingly simple acts can go a very long way to keeping Jesus at the core of a college career. I suggest seven easy ways young Christians can help keep their faith strong while in college:
1. FIND A LOCAL CHURCH: Although you have left your home church for this season in college, that doesn’t mean you should leave church altogether. Find a local church near campus, commit to attending regularly, and join small groups of your peers within the church.
2. BE PART OF A BIBLE STUDY: Even secular colleges have many resources for Christian students. Find a small group or Bible study to join. The group could be young women, young men, both men and women, athletes, residents of the same hall, etc. Canʼt find a Bible study to join? Start one.
3. MAKE NEW CHRISTIAN FRIENDS: Youth group and church friends are probably scattered across different college campuses now. Be intentional about making new Christian friends that will be good influences and help keep you accountable.
4. CONNECT WITH A CHRISTIAN MENTOR: Many young people appreciate a mentor who is more experienced in their faith walk and can offer guidance and wisdom. Consider a Christian professor, coach, or even an older student.
5. JOIN A FAITH-BASED GROUP: Nearly every college campus has a long list of groups and organizations that keep Christ at their center. Joining one or more will allow you to find events, make friends, and deepen your faith. Examples include Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Cru, InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, Ratio Christi, Young Life or dozens of others.
6. OPEN YOUR BIBLE ALONG WITH YOUR BOOKS: As you “crack the books,” also “dig into the Bible.” Even with all the studying, making time to remain in Godʼs Word is crucial. Find a daily devotional that speaks to you or download a Bible reading plan through an online resource such as YouVersion.
7. PRAY FOR GODʼS WISDOM: Dedicate at least part of your day to time in prayer to God, whether in the morning, during a walk to class, or as the day comes to a close. Ask God for wisdom, guidance, and perseverance to stay focused on Him and devoted to Him so you can serve Him and follow His will.
These specific actions can help students stay close to Christ and stand strong while in college. Jesus longs for their souls at this very important time in life, as they make decisions and form relationships that will impact the rest of their lives.
Christian apologists Alex McFarland and Shari Abbott answer some of life's many questions concerning the gospel, faith, and the Bible by sharing Truth for a New Generation and Reasons for Hope found only in Jesus. For more information about apologist, evangelist, author, and religion and culture analyst, Alex McFarland, visit www.alexmcfarland.com. For more information about Shari Abbott, executive director of Reasons for Hope* Jesus, click here.
Truth for a New Generation (TNG) serves nationwide, featuring a multi-year conference tour and student-led club program to equip teenagers, parents, grandparents, and others who lead them to live for God. TNG's mission is to creatively communicate a compelling Christian worldview to the next generation by giving answers to tough questions, based on the truths of Scripture, and to build up the Body of Christ to stand strong and boldly proclaim the gospel in the world. For more information and resources visit www.truthforanewgeneration.com.
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray about the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken sinner from darkness to light.
SHARE THE GOSPEL!
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- Can JEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference: ~ CLICK TO DONATE ~
Use PayPal or a Credit Card for safe, secure giving.
Visit our Store