Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
From the book of First Chronicles we read,
- “As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind” (I Chronicles 28:9 – NASB)
You ever give out advice to someone? You know what I mean . . . it’s when you say, “Listen friend, I think you should do this or that;” in other words, “I think you should go there for a vacation,” or, “I would advise you to put your money in this stock,’ or, “I think you should purchase this brand and model of car.” It seems advice is something a lot of people are always ready to give. In this day in which you and I live there seems to be a never ending stream of those who desire to give us what they think is, good advice.
When people around us seek to advise us it is smart to take the time to ponder that advice and determine whether it is something we want to actually follow or not. Let’s face it, advice is plentiful, but good advice . . . that seems to be a bit more rare, harder to come by.
In my Bible there are underlined passages from one end of it to another. As I’ve read through it I’ve marked and highlighted many a passage that has to do with good advice. One might even describe it as, holy advice. The particular text that I’ve noted for today is one of those underlined and highlighted verses.
King David gives good advice to his “son Solomon.” He tells him to,
- “know the God of your father” – David advises his “son” to “know” his “God,” He who is “God.” The Hebrew word here for “know” means in this text, to “understand, perceive,” to actually “know intimately.” But don’t just “know” Him, also . . . . .
- “serve Him” – David advises “Solomon” to “serve” the “God” that David has “served,” the Creator “God,” the “God” of the Scriptures. And David advises his “son” to “serve Him with a whole heart,” thus in effect, warning him not to “serve . . . God . . . . . half-heartedly.” And further, “serve Him with . . . a willing mind.” Desire to “serve Him” and train your “mind” to do so willingly. Make it your will, the will of your heart and “mind,” to do His will.
Good advice, would you not agree? Is this the kind of advice you give out? Is this the kind of advice you give to your spouse or your children or your grand children or maybe, your great grand children? How about to a friend? If not you may want to underline and highlight this passage in your Bible, meditate upon it and put it to memory, and when the opportunity to give advice comes, tell them what David advised his “son” to do.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk and are given the opportunity to advise, think upon what it is God would have you give in the way of advice.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas