We raise up with praise in our heart and move it from there to our lips . . . Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, for He is worthy to receive all honor, and glory, and praise! He is the Creator, the Sustainer, the All-powerful One, the sovereign One. We raise to the new day as His servants, proclaiming His excellencies, desiring to walk in His statutes that we might be more and more as He desires us to be . . . like Christ!
I am of the mind that you and I, we who are in Christ, are in the beginning stages of “eternal life.” This “eternal life” is best defined, I believe, as “a quality of life.” “Eternal life” is a quality of life, and this quality is found in our living in a intimate, knowing relationship with God. When we were “dead in our trespasses and sins” (Ephesians 2:1) we were separated from God. Death in the Bible speaks of separation and that’s just where we were before God saved us through the Person and work of His Son (Ephesians 2:11-12; then 2:8-10). In Christ we have moved from a life that lacked true quality, because God was not in it, to a life that is marked by quality . . . for we now can “know” God the Father and Jesus Christ whom He has sent. Note this text from Jesus’ prayer in the gospel of John,
- “as You (the Father) have given Him (the Son) authority over all flesh, that He (the Son) should give eternal life to as many as You (the Father) have given Him (the Son). And this is eternal life, that they may know You (the Father), the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.” (John 17:2-3 – NKJV)
Before Christ we walked “according to the course of this world” and “were by nature children of wrath” (Ephesians 2:2-3). The created was separated from the Creator by sin! The created could not “know” God nor did they want to “know” God (note John 1:10). And when the created does not “know” the One who has created it, there is no real quality to life. There is an existence that goes on in the sphere of seeking to satisfy one’s self, one’s fleshly desires, one’s depraved nature. It may even seem at times that there is a quality to this existence, but eventually it is found to be empty, void of any real lasting substance.
The salvation that is in Christ restores us to God, reconciles us to Him (II Corinthians 5:17-19), and thus, I believe, the quality of life is restored. Yes, the One we had no ability, or for that matter, no desire to know, we now can “know,” and do “know.”
We, who are disciples of Christ, who are in Him, are set apart by the “word” (John 17:17), and though we do not actually see the Father yet, we “know” Him through His “word,” that which He has given us as a means by which to reveal Himself to us.
This word “know” in our text would mean, “to be acquainted with, to perceive . . . understand;” or, as someone has added, “to be intimately acquainted with.” The “eternal life” Christ was defining in His prayer was a quality of life that was “intimately acquainted with, able to perceive, to understand” God the Father and Jesus Christ “whom (He) had sent.” Note for instance what Paul wrote to Timothy regarding the Father, revealing words regarding the One we didn’t “know” in our separation but now “know” through our being “set apart” by the “word,”
- “. . . He who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone has immortality, dwelling in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see, to whom be honor and everlasting power.” (I Timothy 6:15-16 – NKJV)
Quality life is in knowing this, in knowing just who God is and what He is. And of course, as we are in the Word of God we become even more and more “acquainted with” God, with Christ, and yes, life takes on a quality it never had before the new birth, a quality God always intended for it to have. And brethren . . . we only “know” a small portion now, what the Father has seen fit that we can handle at this point. But there is oh so much more, and we can be assured that our knowing God gives us a quality of life in the here and now and throughout the ages to come! “Eternal life” is a quality of life and it is given that we “may know . . . the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom (He) has sent.”
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk rejoice, that you have a quality of life that knows the Father and knows the Son and that this life will never end.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas