Note the Scripture,
• “And suddenly there appeared with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, ‘Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased.'” (Luke 2:13-14 – NASB)
A favorite carol that is often heard and sung every Christmas is one written by Charles Wesley. He is the author of “Hark The Herald Angels Sing.” Wesley wrote thousands of hymns but this one is probably one of his most familiar works.
• “Hark! the herald angels sing, ‘Glory to the newborn King;
Peace on earth and mercy mild —
God and sinners reconciled!’
Joyful, all ye nations rise,
Join the triumph of the skies;
With the angels host proclaim,
‘Christ is born in Bethlehem.’
Hark the herald angels sing,
‘Glory to the newborn King!'”
But this hymn always begs the question, “Did the angels sing?” The Scriptures regarding Christ’s birth do not record that they did. So, was Wesley, an esteemed theologian, guilty of adding something to the events of the time that never really happened?
Well, in short, the answer is, “No!” His original work, which did not include singing angels, was altered by a man named Geoge Whitefield, much to the anger of Wesley. And the modified hymn, with its added words, was well received and became the hymn as we know it today.
But within its text we can clearly see Wesley’s strong theology,
• “Christ, by highest heav’n adored,
Christ, the everlasting Lord:
Late in time behold Him come,
Offspring of a virgin’s womb.
Veiled in flesh, the God-head see,
Hail th’incarnate Deity!
Pleased as man with me to dwell!
Jesus, our Emmanuel!”
And there is even more, which I would encourage you to take in the entire hymn. Read it, sing it, and ponder its wonderful Christmas message . . . “Glory to the newborn King . . . Jesus, our Emmanual!”
Have a good day brethen . . . and as you walk praise God for the carols of the season that proclaim and glorify our Lord.
Please consider supporting Reasons for Hope* Jesus in our ministry outreach of educating and equipping Christians to know Jesus better, love Him more, and be ready to share their faith. For more information, click HERE
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store