Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
Being of the same mind . . . note this text from First Corinthians regarding this matter,
- “Now I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and there be no divisions among you, but you be made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment” (I Corinthians 1:10 – NASB)
Someone has written that “the days of the early church were the days of its greatest power because they were days of its greatest unity.”
- “They continued daily with one accord . . . and singleness of heart . . . And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul . . . and great grace was upon them all” (Acts 2:46; 4:32-33 – KJV)
The church at Corinth was not of “the same mind.” Divisions had arisen and the apostle Paul eventually ended up writing two lengthy letters to the believers there to attempt to bring them back to a state of “one accord,” of “singleness of heart . . . of one heart and of one soul.” Paul knew well that when this condition exists the church is how Christ intends it to be.
The New Testament contains many exhortations for unity, for being of “the same mind,”
- “Be of the same mind toward one another . . .” (Romans 12:16 – NASB)
- “Now may the God who gives perseverance and encouragement grant you to be of the same mind with one another according to Christ Jesus” (Romans 15:5 – NASB)
- “. . . I may hear that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind” (Philippians 1:27 – NASB)
- “Finally, all of you be of one mind . . .” (I Peter 3:8 – NKJV)
. . . and, there are even more that are not listed here.
The enemy of being of “the same mind” is self. Self gets in the way of doing the will of God. Christ came to deliver us from self, to call us to “deny self” and to “follow” Him (Matthew 16:24). When this is done “the unity of the Spirit” and “the unity of the faith” (Ephesians 4:3, 13) can be fully realized and power is restored . . . power to be the church Christ intends for it to be.
I’m of a mind that denominationalism has rendered the church anything but “of one mind.” It is a sad state of affairs!
The call to the body of Christ is to “be of the same mind.” Unity, being “of the same mind,” is not arrived at through ecumenical means, through compromise, but by a joint effort by the members of the body of Christ to walk in obedience to the truth of God’s Word. Jesus prayed that His church might be sanctified (“set apart”) in the truth (see John 17:17-21), not man’s so-called truth but God’s truth, His Word, rightly divided.
Bowing to the Lordship of Christ will allow for this “same mind” to come about, and this is possible for,
- “. . . we have the mind of Christ” (I Corinthians 2:16 – NASB)
We have the tool to bring the parts together . . . “the faith” as delivered in the Scriptures, the means by which we can,
- “Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 2:5 – KJV)
Being “of the same mind” is not easy but it is the calling for the church, the calling for every believer.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk seek to not allow self to keep you from doing the will of God.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas