From the book of Proverbs we read,
- “The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel: To know wisdom and instruction, to discern the sayings of under-standing, to receive instruction in wise behavior, righteousness, justice and equity; to give prudence to the naïve, to the youth knowledge and discretion . . .” (Proverbs 1:1-5 – NASB)
The book of Proverbs is given to us by God that we might “know wisdom.” The dictionary defines the word “wisdom” in the following terms, “the quality or state of being wise, sagacity, discernment, or insight.” So from the writings of Solomon we can gain discernment, insight, that we might be able to “discern the sayings of understanding” and thus be wise. (Note: “sagacious” means, “having or showing acute mental discernment and keen practical sense; shrewd.”)
Brethren, I don’t know if you ever think about it but it is wise to do so, to think about what a blessing it is to have “understanding.” This is especially something we want to have in regards to life, the matters of life, of who we are and what we are here for and what lies ahead for us. To have “understanding” of these things is vital to each one of us. The Bible imparts to us “wisdom” that in turn gives us “understanding” of these things.
From this book of “wisdom,” we “receive instruction in wise behavior.” Thus, how we are to behave in this world, how we are to act as we go about life, and how we are to do it “wisely.” We “receive instruction in . . . righteousness.” Doing what is right, carrying out right acts, this is so important in keeping us from acts that are harmful and destructive. We “receive instruction in . . . justice.” Oh how our judges, who rule from their lofty benches, could use this book of Proverbs today, could use the Word of God, that they might administer rightly, “justice.” They can only have “understanding” of true “justice” if they are taking in the counsel of God!
From the book of “wisdom” we “receive instruction in . . . equity.” This English word means, “the quality of being fair or impartial.” To be able to deal fairly, justly . . . to have “understanding” in how to do this, this we learn from the book of “wisdom,” from the pages of God’s holy Word.
And further, “prudence” is given to “the naïve,” or, the “wisdom” to deal well in practical matters. The “naïve” would especially pertain to the young, to youth, for they are in great need of this as they grow in their new life.
The book of Proverbs is written especially for the young. Just reading into the first and second chapters will make this point clear. Written that they might have “wisdom . . . understanding . . . instruction in wise behavior, righteousness, justice and equity.”
Isn’t it a travesty that in our day, in fact in this very day, we fill the thousands of rooms of education across our land with young people with the intent of imparting to them wisdom and understanding. The goal is to give them instruction that they might become more knowledgeable and subsequently prepared for a productive life in society, in this world. Isn’t it a travesty that in this very process we omit the very tool that is necessary to actually fulfill this goal. Oh how the youth of our day need the Word of God!
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk, take in that you might give out the counsel of God’s Word, taking special notice of those who are young, that you might impart to them wisdom and knowledge and understanding.
Please consider supporting Reasons for Hope* Jesus in our ministry outreach of educating and equipping Christians to know Jesus better, love Him more, and be ready to share their faith. For more information, click HERE
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge